12.23.2010

Rodney Strong Chardonnay Sonoma County 2009

I picked up this lovely bottle the other day because when I think of the Rodney Strong winery, I have good feelings. Somewhere in the amazing brain I have, there are memories of drinking Rodney Strong wines and liking them. I just know it. So, I went with my gut and grabbed this Chardonnay to have with a pot of ham and beans. That sounds gross now that I typed it, but it wasn't in real life.

Rumor is, this is another silver medal winner and 87 point getter. There are a lot of contests and people who get to assign point values. One day, perhaps I'll figure out just how many. I used to ignore these things and go with the bravado of  "Who cares what some crusty old man in a windsor tie thinks? I'm going to drink what I want. Dammit." Then, I realized I liked all the wines that win awards and get big points. So, you do the math. For the record, I also like a man who can tie a windsor knot. He's in the shower right now, presumably not wearing a windsor tie.

Anyway, totally loved this wine. It was the perfect blend of crisp and fruity and dry - which is the Chard trifecta for me. I also love a buttery Chard but that makes 4 adjectives and there is no "trifecta" sort of impact to a quadfecta. And, besides, this wasn't buttery.

I served it really cold, which might be a no-no, but I like it that way. Plus, the steaming hot bowl of ham and beans demanded an icy cold sort of beverage.

Would absolutely drink this one again-- looking forward to it, in fact. Try it out for yourself. I'd like to try the '08, too.

Retails between $12-$14. Bought locally on sale for $9.99. Worth every penny!

No comments:

Post a Comment