1.28.2011

Oh Mercy, I've got a lot of catching up to do

I haven't been blogging but I have, in fact, been drinking wine! I have 10 empty bottles lined up on my office fireplace staring at me. "It's time", they are saying. So, here we are.

Being that there are 10 and being that I'm feeling lazy, I'm going to lump these together as best as I can.

In the I Was Disappointed column, we have:

Murphy-Goode 2007 Cabernet: this is made in Santa Rosa, which sits on the other side of the greater Napa/Sonoma region from me. I was anxious to try this one because I see it on restaurant menus a lot, which can sometimes indicate a general winner. I was disappointed, though. It was just ok. I'd be willing to try another year, but for the money, I wouldn't bother with another 07.

Rosenblum Cellars Vinter's Cuvee Cabernet 2008: This one comes from Sonoma. I've been hearing good things about this winery and was excited when I saw the label. I couldn't remember what wines they were known for or what their speciality was but I was in the mood for a cab so I thought, what the heck! This one was so unmemorable that I cannot, as it seems, remember anything about it. I just know I stuck the empty bottle in the no section of what was once my fireplace and is now my empty wine bottle holder.

Mumm Napa Brut Prestige: This is the champagne I chose for New Year's. The label is telling me this is their signature sparkling wine over at Mumm Napa, which is indeed in Napa. I like this one but was disappointed because I soooo loved the Chandon champagne I had recently (reviewed on this blog) and when this one wasn't as good I was just bummed. It normally goes for about $20 but I got it for around $12 so at least I had that. I'd drink it again but if all other things are equal, I'm going with the Chandon.

Frei Brothers Reserve Cabernet 2007 Northern Sonoma: It kills me to put this one on the list because Frei Brothers makes some amazing wines. And this was a reserve wine. And $30. And the one I selected for Christmas. I don't know what to say - it was just lacking. I wanted luxury and boldness and I got simple and flat. Would I try another reserve wine from them? Heck yes, in a heartbeat. I can't explain this and I hope it never happens again. Especially if I'm the one paying.

In the I Was Pleasantly Surprised But Yet it Didn't Rock My World Completely column:

Layer Cake Cotes Du Rhone Vintage 2006 Rhone Valley France: This is the French wine I chose for us for our new tradition of French food on Christmas Eve. I know nothing about French wine except I once shared a $1 bottle of wine with some pals in Paris while playing Go Fish in our hotel room and it was so awful that when I was forced to Go Fish and take a drink I literally threw open the hotel window and spat it out. If you were walking in Paris near the airport in the summer of 1997 and red wine fell from the sky and hit you, I apologize. For the record, we were literally playing the go fish card game and not some drinking game. Though it became a drinking game somehow. Whatever. Also for the record, I believe this is now the infamous time we sent Robby to the hotel lobby bar with the said $1 bottle to have them open it, only to have him return embarrassed because it was a screw top. ANYWAY, back to this one....I was pleasantly surprised. It was lively and full and held in there with our Coq Au Vin like a champ. It was also good immediately - didn't even have to decant this stuff. It didn't blow my socks off, but I'd happily go for it again.
I got this one for about $12 at World Market.


In the Folks, We Have a Winner category:

Joel Gott 815 Cabernet 2008: This is another cabernet gem from the St Helena area in Napa County. I also see Joel Gott wines on menus a lot and this one didn't let me down. It isn't on my list of all time faves for cabernets, but it is darn good and I'd happily drink it and buy it again. Mid priced around $14 -$16. Not too big and spicy, so most all cab lovers would enjoy it. Get you some.

Charles Krug 2008 Sauvignon Blanc Napa Valley: As I'm typing these I realize how little white wine I've had recently. Seems odd. Anyway, this is my first wine from Napa's oldest winery and I was quite happy with it. We all know I'm a sucker for a Sauv Blanc and this is a great one. It was dry, fruity (pear not apple), crisp and delicious. Can't wait to try it again.

Ridgeline Cabernet 2004 Alexander Valley: This was my husband's gift from his boss, who lives in Napa. Fabulous gift and fabulous wine. Retails for around $30 and didn't disappoint. It was rich and smokey and full bodied all the way through. I hope my husband's boss comes up with another reason to gift us. If you see any of this - indulge!

337 Cabernet 2008 Lodi:  Well, it has been too long since I drank this one to recall any good details, but I definitely really liked it and will happily buy it again.

Deadly Zins 2007: This is a blend of old vine zinfandels and it never fails to be fantastic. I've been drinking this one since my friend Heidi's wedding a few years ago and is one of my favorite old vine zins. It is decently priced $12-$15 so you can drink it regularly. I encourage you to try this one if you like old vine zins.

No comments:

Post a Comment