12.23.2010

Toasted Head Barrel Aged Cabernet Sauvignon 2008

I've been avoiding this winery for years now, I admit. From a distance, the label looks like it has a bear vomiting fish. Only upon closer inspection do I realize the bear is actually breathing (or eating) fire. This is preferable, naturally, to a vomiting bear. Once I cleared this up, I bought a bottle of North Coast Cabernet to go along with my favorite TriTip roast for dinner the other night.

The fruit for this wine comes from the Lakes Region, a bit farther north from the Napa-Sonoma region I've been tasting wines from. Yes, I know I could rework that sentence so as to not dangle my preposition, but I'm feeling wild this morning.



I liked this wine in a "it's decent" sort of way. I don't really mean that as a slam - it was a decent cab and I was able to immediately drink it - no decanting. Sometimes, this is very much appreciated. It was a bit....man...I don't know the word I need here. It was a bit too light, or something like that. I like big, heavy cabs and this was sort of a nice and easy version. It smelled good and tasted good, though -- also did a great job standing up to my roast and brussel sprouts. That's right. I eat brussel sprouts. Shut your mouth!

For under 10 bucks, it's not a bad choice. I'd drink it again but it wouldn't be my first choice. Too many fantastic cabs out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment