12.17.2010

Wattle Creek Sauvignon Blanc Mendocino 2007


The other day as I was standing there staring at all the fabulous wines I have yet to try, my eyes settled on this one. It has a couple of strange things going for it. First, let's be honest. The label has a picture of something that seriously looks like a penis and three balls. And we all know how rare a three baller is. Then there is the name. When I hear the word "wattle" I think of my chin and this is NOT a pleasant experience. I'd rather think about a three baller. So why would I pick this wine, you are asking. Well, I was intrigued by all that strangeness and by a sauv blanc from Cloverdale, CA. I don't even know where that is - pause while I go find out...got it! Northwest of Napa, straight up the old 101.

Anyway, enough about three balls, my chin, and locations. I really enjoyed this wine. It's a silver medal winner of some contest, which seems right to me. I must say though, that had it been a blind taste test I probably would have guessed it to be a Chardonnay. This says a lot about how totally unrefined I am. Whatever. But, the wine had a bigger, bolder and almost but not quite buttery sort of taste..like you'd associate with a Chard. I'm wondering if this is something  more common in Sauv's from this particular region. I can't wait to find out.

I drank this wine by itself and with a homemade pasta dish (sauteed chicken breast over angel hair pasta with vodka sauce) and it stood up quite nicely. I'd definitely have it again.

Retails for around $14. Bought at Raley's for $8.99.

1 comment:

  1. funny, when I saw the photo of the bottle I thought, pretty label! then I read your comments. I feel dirty now. :)

    ReplyDelete